Behind the Chutes: Industry News & Rodeo Updates for August
Welcome to Behind the Chutes, a Cowboy Lifestyle Network monthly series that is your all-in-one place to get your western industry news and rodeo updates! In this series, I hope to cover Pro Rodeo athlete updates, standings, events news and so much more!
Pendleton Round-Up 2022
Celebrating 112 Years of Tradition- it’s time to Let Er Buck! The famous Pendleton Round-Up rodeo is back this year September 10th-17th 2022. Coming off of 2021 winning the Largest Outdoor Rodeo of the year for the 8th time fans are in for a spectacular show at the Pendleton Round-Up. The rodeo runs Wednesday through Saturday starting at 1:15pm. The arena action includes the classic seven PRCA sanctioned events as well as the WPRA Women’s Barrel Racing, Women’s Breakaway Roping, Indian Relay Racing, Wild Cow Milking and Indian dancing!
Navajo County Fair & Rodeo 2022
It is once again time for the Navajo County Fair and Rodeo in Holbrook, Arizona, taking place September 14-17, 2022! 91 years in the making, the Navajo County Fair & Rodeo is back with more rodeo action than ever. Saddle up with Cowboy Lifestyle Network as we head to the 2022 Navajo County Fair & Rodeo, “It’s an American Tradition!”. September 14th marks the beginning of festivities and rodeo isn’t the only excitement to be found during the four-day extravaganza. From Carnival rides to musical entertainment and the Little Buckaroo Rodeo, the 2022 Navajo County Fair & Rodeo has something for the entire family to enjoy. All activities will take place from September 14th to September 17th at the Navajo County Fairgrounds, located in Holbrook, Arizona. For a full list of events, click here!
Creek Bash Rodeo 2022
Rodeo Naked is proud to present the 4th Annual Creek Bash Rodeo taking place September 16-18, 2022! The Grand Canyon Pro Rodeo Association (GCPRA) Rodeo will be held at Horseshoe Park & Equestrian Centre located at 20464 E Riggs Rd., Queen Creek, AZ 85142. This year we are doing three days of action-packed Rodeo and will be bringing you the best stock from VHeart Rodeo Company with a Performance each night and a kids rodeo each day! Two Days of full Rodeo and one day Bull Bash And Barrel Race! There is fun for the whole family from Bounce houses to Vendors to Beer Garden to Rodeo to Dancing! The Creek Bash Rodeo will be donating to local Charities by making a portion of ticket sales, 50/50 raffles and silent auctions go towards helping those in need. So come on out, have some fun, and help make a difference!!!
PRCA Rodeo Athlete & Standings Updates
The end of the PRCA is proving to be just as exciting as we thought it would be. We have seen major shifts in the standings, wrecks, and injuries that have put a damper on some and allowed others to break into the top 15. The 2022 PRCA season ends on September 30th, which means the 2023 season will actually start in October. Standings pulled on 8/24/2022.
- All Around: Being led by Stetson Wright with $332,022.89 Stetson can’t be held back. In addition, Stetson just set a new record earning amount before heading to the NFR. This kid is on fire! Your other top five leaders include 2. Caleb Smidt (holding second place), 3. Josh Frost (moved up from fourth), 4. Zack Jongbloed holds fourth and Taylor Santos (moved into the top 4) holds fifth in the all-around standings.
- Bareback Riding: Jess “The Pope” is STILL leading the bareback standings with $137,580.91. Tim O’Connell is right on his tail with $137,006.72, a mere $500 difference between first and second. Jess has been leading the pack for the last several months. Will Tim finally scoop up the number one spot? Cole Reiner slipped into the number three spot with $134,459.20. Caleb Bennett is in fourth with $126,181.33 in earnings and we saw Rocker Steiner fall back into the number five spot with $126,053.12. Rocker is leading the race to being the next Resistol Rookie of the Year though!
- Saddle Bronc Riding: Sage Newman is still holding on to the lead for saddle bronc with $233,359.65. He has also set a record in bronc riding for most money earned in a single season before the NFR. Stetson Wright made some moves and moved into the number two spot with $163,565.30 in earnings. Brody Cress moved down to the third position with $163,146.42 in earnings but he’s right behind Stetson with only $400 between them. Your other top five competitors are 4. Ryder Wright (up from 5th) and 5. Zeke Thurston (new to the top 5).
- Bull Riding: Stetson Wright is holding a solid front lead with $252,451.70 in earnings. In the number two spot, we have Josh Frost holding strong with $209,904.70. 3. Jeff Askey with $140,902.96. 4. Garrett Smith moved into the number four spot with $124,564.77, putting Sage Kimzey at number five with $115,633.09. This might be the first year that we won’t see Sage heading to the NFR in the top five. With this new baby, we are sure he focusing on family, which he should but it’s going to be interesting to see what his career looks like from here on out.
- Steer Wrestling: We are seeing some major moves in steer wrestling this month. Tyler Waguespack is leading the pack with $121,429.79. Will Lummus is holding the number two spot with $110,260.38. Stetson Jorgenson broke into the top five in third place with $106,168.39. Hunter Cure is in your number four spot with $102,146.09 with Ty Erickson following up in fifth with $98,130.37.
- Team Roping: On the heading side, Kaleb Driggers is holding the number one spot with $192,113.29 along with his partner Junior Nogueria on the heeling side with $84,049.98. Your other top five teams in the heading are 2. Clay Tryan, 3. Andrew Ward, 4. Rhen Richards, and 5. Dustin Egusquiza. And on the heeling side, we have 2. Jake Long, 3. Buddy Hawkins, 4. Jade Corkill, and 5. Jeremy Buhler.
- Tie Down: Shad “Money” Mayfield moved up to the number one spot with $162,211.75 in earnings. Holding 2nd place with $147,626.84 is John Douch (up from third), with Caleb Smidt (down from second) right behind him in third with $146,648.44. Haven Meged holds the number four spot with $129,713.27. Your number five tie-down roper is Zack Jongbloed with $118,930.03.
Behind the Chutes, Rodeo Updates is Brought to you by CKP Insurance
Their trained professionals will walk you through a range of options using risk-assessment tools that will help you manage your risks when there is a drought in your area. The U.S. government subsidizes 51%-59% of the premium.
Those Who Expect More Choose CKP
You Built It. We Can Help You Protect It.
Pasture, Rangeland, and Forage Insurance was designed to help protect your operation from the risks of forage losses that are produced for grazing or harvested for hay, resulting in increased costs for feed.
Anyone can sell you a policy. But CKP Insurance invests the time to understand your needs and develop a strategy that will help you protect and manage your business risks and operations, rain or shine.