Behind the Chutes: Industry News & Rodeo Updates for July
Welcome to Behind the Chutes, a Cowboy Lifestyle Network monthly series that is your all-in-one place to get your western industry news and rodeo updates! In this series, I hope to cover Pro Rodeo athlete updates, standings, events news and so much more!
Upcoming Event: Payson Pro Rodeo – World’s Oldest Continuous Rodeo 2022
Payson, Arizona is where rodeo began. Starting in 1884 the Annual World’s Oldest Continuous Rodeo is a world-famous event that will celebrate its 139th consecutive year in 2022 on August 19 and 20. Payson Pro Rodeo performances start at 7:00 PM Friday and Saturday night and at 1:00 PM Saturday afternoon. Gates open 2 hours prior to the performances. Friday is the Tough Enough to Wear Pink night that helps raise funds for local breast cancer support groups. Saturday evening is the Patriot Performance that honors our returning, fallen, and wounded veterans, with a special tribute during the Payson Pro rodeo. Saturday afternoon is Family Day with prizes for kids. Tickets are available online at www.paysonprorodeo.com. Tickets will also be available at the gate, but some performances sell out early.
PRCA Rodeo Athlete & Standings Updates
This summer is proving to be just as exciting as we thought it would be last month. We have seen major shifts in the standings, wrecks, and injuries that have put a damper on some and allowed others to break into the top 15. The regular PRCA season only has another two months before ending on September 30th, which means the 2023 season will actually start in October. Standings pulled on 7/26/2022.
- All Around: Being led by Stetson Wright with $277,040.64, even with his injuries, Stetson can’t be held back. Your other top five leaders include 2. Caleb Smidt (climbed up since last month), 3. Zack Jongbloed (moved down from second), 4. Josh Frost holds fourth and Rhen Richard (moved down) holds fifth in the all-around standings.
- Bareback Riding: Jess “The Pope” is STILL leading the bareback standings with $121,659.63, making about 10K in his summer run so far, but Cole Reiner is right on his tail with $119,070.62. It would only take one event for that to change. Tim O’Connell moved up to third from fourth with $110,116.92 in earnings and we saw Rocker Steiner break into the number four spot with R.C. Landingham right behind him. What a shake-up in the bareback riding!
- Saddle Bronc Riding: Sage Newman, much like Jess is still holding on to the lead for saddle bronc with $190,601.62, making about 30K in his summer run so far since last month. Brody Cress moved up to the second position with $136,000.16 in earnings. Stetson Wright holds the number three spot (moved from second) with $125,844.75. Your other top five competitors are 4. Wyatt Casper and 5. Ryder Wright.
- Bull Riding: Stetson Wright is holding a solid front lead with $225,163.94 in earnings, which is a 43K increase from last month. Even with his injuries, he is not letting up. In the number two spot, we have Josh Frost holding strong with $164,938.23, 3. Jeff Askey with $118,490.74 (up from fifth), 4. Sage Kimzey with $115,633.09 (down from third), and 5. Garret Smith with $90,559.31 broke into the top 5 players.
- Steer Wrestling: Big moves in steer wrestling this summer. Hunter Cure had been leading the steer wrestling pack for a couple of months but Tyler Waguespack closed the gap and now holds the number one spot with$103,769.26. Will Lummus also broke through the top five and into second with $93,504.72 in earnings and a win at Calgary. Hunter Cure moved to third place holding with $90,265.57. Your other top steer wrestlers are 4. J.D. Struxness, and 5. Ty Erickson.
- Team Roping: On the heading side, Kaleb Driggers is STILL holding the number one spot with $152,956.03 along with his partner Junior Nogueria on the heeling side with $84,049.98. Your other top five teams in the heading are 2. Clay Tryan, 3. Andrew Ward, 4. Rhen Richards, and 5. Coleman Proctor. And on the heeling side, we have 2. Buddy Hawkins, 3. Jeremy Buhler, 4. Jake Long, and 5. Jade Corkill.
- Tie Down: Ready for a serious mix up? Shad “Money” Mayfield moved up to the number one spot with $139,720.75 in earnings. Holding 2nd place with $131,527.38 is Caleb Smidt, with John Douch right behind him in third with $126,841.27. Tuf Cooper holds the number four spot with $107,682.74. Your number five tie-down roper is Zack Jongbloed with $100,537.07.
In Case You Missed It
Spencer Boyd Helps Honor Veterans with Record Rack’s ‘Bucks for the Brave’
Mooresville, NC (July 12, 2022) – NASCAR Driver, Spencer Boyd is continuing his efforts to support the men and women who have served in the line of duty. Veterans (no longer serving) and retired First Responders (Law Enforcement, Firefighters, EMTs) can win the hunting experience of a lifetime thanks to long-time Boyd partner, Record Rack® premium wildlife feed (brand owned by Cargill, Inc.) Nominations for heroes are now open to submissions for the annual Bucks for the Brave charitable event.
Nominate Your Hero Today>>>https://www.sportsmanschoicefeeds.com/bucks-for-the-brave
Behind the Chutes Rodeo Updates is Brought to you by CKP Insurance
Their trained professionals will walk you through a range of options using risk-assessment tools that will help you manage your risks when there is a drought in your area. The U.S. government subsidizes 51%-59% of the premium.
Those Who Expect More Choose CKP
You Built It. We Can Help You Protect It.
Pasture, Rangeland, and Forage Insurance was designed to help protect your operation from the risks of forage losses that are produced for grazing or harvested for hay, resulting in increased costs for feed.
Anyone can sell you a policy. But CKP Insurance invests the time to understand your needs and develop a strategy that will help you protect and manage your business risks and operations, rain or shine.