A sketchy venture down a dark alley in Manhattan, KS led me to Varsity Donuts– a food stand that is responsible for my life changing discovery of bacon grilled cheese mac n’ cheese sandwiches. I’d be ashamed of myself if I didn’t share this recipe with you guys. It’s quick, comforting and incredibly easy. A perfect winter meal for leftover macaroni and cheese and it tastes even better paired with greens, hot tomato soup, and apple cider!
- Serving Size: 2
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 min.
- Cook Time: 15 min.
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 min.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 ½ c. cooked elbow macaroni
- ½ c. milk
- 1/3 c. Velveeta
- 2 TBSP butter
- Salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste
Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Four strips of cooked bacon
- Four slices of bread
- Two slices of Velveeta
- Four TSP butter
- Drain the cooked macaroni and add the milk, butter, and Velveeta on low to medium heat. Stir until melted and then add the salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Remove from heat and refrigerate for one hour or until firm.
- When the macaroni and cheese is firm, butter one side of each slice of bread and cut the cooked bacon strips in halves.
- Cut the cold macaroni into two bread sized squares and set aside.
- Place two bread slices butter side down in a large skillet over medium heat. Immediately add a macaroni and cheese square to each, followed by four bacon strip halves, a slice of Velveeta, and top with a bread slice, butter side up.
- Cook each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Throw it on your plate and add Sriracha if you like it hot! Enjoy!
CLN Community & Event Sponsor