When we thought about creating this article, we wanted to focus on snacks that real cowboys snack on while out rustling cattle. Well, we found a few that are meant for home and a couple for the range!
- 3 pounds Top Roast or Rump Roast
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
Cut off any excess fat on the slab of beef. Slice the beef into 1/8th-inch slices, against the grain. Place in a large gallon zip bag.
Add all remaining ingredients to the bag. Zip and massage to mix well. Chill for at least 45 minutes, but up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 175ºF. Place a metal rack over the foil on each pan.
Lay the beef in a single layer across the racks. Bake for 3 to 4 hours, checking at the 3-hour mark for texture. Let a tester piece cool, then tug and taste. If it’s perfect take all the beef jerky out of the oven. (Bake 2–3 hours in a convection oven.)
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.
Cowboy Trail Mix
A bag of trail mix from the store!
- Add diced beef jerky from recipe above and M & M’s.
We found this one on the internet and quite honestly, the name just grabbed us!
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-pound sausage, browned and drained (I used spicy for an added kick)
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 2 cans Rotel
- Mix all ingredients into a crockpot and cook on low for an hour or two.
- Serve with tortilla chips
Cowboy Caviar Dip
Another gem we sourced from the world wide web to enjoy at home!
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8-ounces) bottle of zesty Italian dressing
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped (to taste)
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 jalapenos peppers, seeded and chopped
- Drain and rinse black beans and corn and add to a large bowl. Drain tomatoes and add to bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for cilantro and chill for 2 hours.
- When ready top with chopped cilantro and serve with chips.
CLN Community & Event Sponsor