Nestled in the canyons of Alameda County in California, the Rowell Ranch Rodeo in Castro Valley returns for its 101st year this month! The Committee is dedicated to preserving history while embracing the future and ensuring generations to come are able to enjoy this event and the Western lifestyle.
History of the Event
In 1921, Harry Rowell hosted the first rodeo on the athletic fields of the Burbank School in downtown Hayward before moving the event to his Dublin Canyon ranch in 1925, where it is still held today. Over the years, Rowell became known as “The Rodeo King of the West” because of his commitment as a stock contractor for more than 25 rodeos throughout the West, including his own.
In 2010, the arena was named after Cecil Jones, a Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame inductee who has served on the Rowell Ranch Rodeo Committee for more than 49 years and as president for 25 years.
Today, the rodeo is known for its historic patriotic opening where a lone rider rides into the arena from Harry’s Hills carrying the American flag, and it pays out more than $50,000 to professional rodeo athletes from across the country. In 2022, winners of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) rodeo included Jess Pope (bareback riding), Grant Peterson (steer wrestling), Zach Kilgus/Jake Edwards (team roping), Statler Wright (saddle bronc riding), Brushton Minton (tie-down roping), Megan McLeod-Sprague and Hayle Gibson (barrel racing) and Matt Palmer (bull riding).
- Rockin’ Bull Bash – Friday, May 19 at 7:30 p.m.
- PRCA Performance 1 and Armed Services Day – Saturday, May 20 at 1:30 p.m.
- PRCA Performance 2 and Tough Enough to Wear Pink Night – Sunday, May 21 at 1:30 p.m.
- 2nd Annual Rob Warren Memorial Golf Tournament – Friday, May 5 at 11:30 a.m.
- BBQ, Axe, and Brews – Friday, May 12
- Official Rowell Ranch Rodeo Parade – Saturday, May 13 at 10:00 a.m.
- Cecil Jones Cowboy Challenge – Wednesday, May 17 at 4:00 p.m.
- BBQ & Dance – Wednesday, May 17 at 6:00 p.m.
- Cowgirl Picnic – Thursday, May 18 at 11:00 a.m.
- Local Team Roping – Thursday, May 18 at 5:00 p.m.
- Special Partners Event – Saturday, May 20 at 10:30 a.m.
Tickets for Friday’s bull bash and the two PRCA performances range from $20 to $50, and rodeo box seats are available for $40! While the Cecil Jones Cowboy Challenge is free to attend, the BBQ and dance to follow will require $25 tickets. The after-party following Saturday’s rodeo performance is also free, but a $25 ticket is required for the plated BBQ dinner.
All tickets can be purchased online. We at Cowboy Lifestyle Network know that May 12 – 20 will be a grand time at Rowell Ranch Rodeo Park in Castro Valley, CA, and we can’t wait to see you there!
CLN Community & Event Sponsor
You must be logged in to post a comment.