The Days of ’47 Rodeo 2018
From July 19 through July 24, rodeo fans and Western athletes from far and wide will gather at the arena at State Fair Park in Salt Lake City, Utah for the annual Days of ’47 Rodeo 2018. A select number of cowboys and cowgirls are invited to compete for the coveted gold medal and the chance to win $744,000 in the One Million Dollar Rodeo. Funds raised during the event benefit a variety of local charitable efforts to include the education of the state’s youth.
History of the Days of 47
The One Million Dollar Rodeo was established in commemoration of the Mormon pioneers who arrived in the Great Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847. The rodeo began a decade later. The hardships, struggles and determination of the people serve as an inspiration for modern-day pioneers to have courage in the face of adversity in order to fulfill a dream.
The Cowboy Games & Rodeo adopts an Olympic type format in that event winners receive bronze, silver and gold medals along with $50,000. Otherwise, spectators have the chance to witness Western athlete participate in many traditional competitions. Athletes invited to compete in 2018 include:
• Bareback riding-Wyatt Denny, Tim O’Connell, Tanner Phipps
• Barrel racing-Hailey Kinsel, Kelly Tovar, Lisa Lockhart
• Bull riding-Sage Kimzey, Tyler Bingham, Ty Wallace
• Saddle bronc riding-Cody DeMoss, Jake Wright, Zeke Thurston
• Steer wrestling-Ryle Smith, Tyler Pearson, Jace Melvin
• Team roping-Jr. headers Dees, Tom Richards and healers Tyler McKnight, Kyle Lockett
• Tie-down roping-Tuf Cooper, Trevor Brazile, Ryle Smith
Along with the One Million Dollar Rodeo, guests night take little ones to the Young Living Farms Family Fun Zone. The location will also have Native American and pioneer encampments, the chance to ride mechanical bulls, a petting zoo, a carnival and various vendors. Future rodeo stars have the option of competing in the mutton busting competition.
• Pioneer Day Concert at the LDS Conference Center-8:00 P.M.
• First Encampment Hike-7:00 A.M.
• Youth Parade downtown-10:00 A.M.
• Days of 47 Real Salt Lake Academy Family Festival at the City-County Building-10:00 A.M.
As with all of the nation’s Western sporting events, the Cowboy Lifestyle Network, the Ak-Chin Indian Community and the Earnhardt Auto Centers Road Team will be on hand to cover the Days of 47 events as they unfold.